1804 - 1950's
In the beginning:
Oldrids was established in 1804, by Mr. John Oldrid and Mr. Richard Hyde, a small retailer who specialised as a draper, mercer, hosier, haberdasher and funeral director. During 1831, John Oldrid took over the running of the business until 1905. Mr Sydney Smith then ran the business from 1906 - 1915, when Mr. Robert Isaac purchased Oldrids from him. In 1920, the Isaacs expanded the Boston store to the three adjacent buildings. As the company grew, the Isaacs purchased other properties in the Boston area, including Pescod Hall.
1960's - 1980's
Building the future:
The Company took the decision to start selling furniture in a building on New Street in Boston, however, as this part of the business grew, the company purchased an out of town site in Wyberton and in 1981, the first Downtown store was opened.
For four years, the Downtown store also housed a Motor Showroom. In addition, the original store; Oldrids, in Boston, was rebuilt and enlarged to include 3 floors and a food hall.
1980's - 1990's
During this time, the Company became a family run business with many of the Isaac family taking on roles within the two stores. The Downtown Boston store went through an enlargement during 1985, which also encouraged other retailers to develop around the site.
During 1985, the company purchased a 10 acre field next to the A1 in Grantham, and in 1989, Downtown Grantham was built on this site. By 1998 a new floor was added to the Grantham store allowing space for Boundary Mill Stores on the Ground floor.
2000 - 2005
The Grantham site continued to flourish and a Garden Centre was added to the site.
In 2004 the Company celebrated its 200th birthday, with celebratory promotions all year.
The Company also saw the enlargement and refurbishment of Oldrids Department Store and Downtown in Boston.
2006 – 2012
A new era:
The Autumn of 2006 saw the beginning of a new era for the Company with a new, non-family Managing Director taking the helm.
In 2009, the company launched a transactional website; www.oldrids.co.uk and sales have grown year on year since that time.
During the Autumn of 2012, the ground floor of the Downtown Superstore in Grantham received an extensive re-fit, followed, in 2013, by the re-cladding and improvement of the exterior of the entire building.
2013 - Present
Time to change:
February 2013 saw the company expanding into Lincoln and Gainsborough, with the transfer of two Lincolnshire Co-operative Home stores to Oldrid & Co. Ltd.
In November 2013, Downtown Lincoln received an extensive refurbishment to modernise the store.
In 2014, following the departure of the previous Managing Director, there was a change in the way in which the business was managed. With continued success and stability for its employees being a key factor in a new appointment, Oldrid & Co. Ltd. decided to appoint three of its existing Executive Directors to take on the responsibility jointly, working more closely with the family through the three
Non-Executive Board Directors.
In early October 2016, the company added a further store, as it welcomed the former Scunthorpe Westgate Co-operative store and its employees to the Oldrids family. With a huge team effort from everyone in the business, a mini store face-lift was delivered and the store was relaunched as Oldrids Scunthorpe within two weeks.